Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Slow Cooker Pinspiration


You guys! You have got to try this recipe! 

So background: A few years ago, I was a sheltered little girl who loved home cooking and didn't really venture outside the restaurant scene apart from my usual spots. I preferred saving the money and doing other things like shopping for outfits or saving up for school. But then I started dating for the first time since high school, and the boy was surprised that I didn't know any restaurants around town. So for our date nights, we tried different places around town that matched our taste preferences. He hated any asian food except for Thai and I was getting tired of italian and mexican places.



We learned that we both really loved and craved certain types, and even though we're no longer together, I'm still fond of Indian and Thai food. However, going out to dinner alone isn't always the best for my self-esteem, so when I found this recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala on Pinterest, I was super excited to try it out.



And it does not disappoint! I love that I can get all the ingredients together in about 10 minutes, put it in the slow cooker and BAM! Food for a week!


Ingredients (from the Iron You website - can't take credit for this one!):
2 lbs / 900 gr free-range organic chicken breasts, cut into 1½-inch chunks
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced (I used powdered garlic)
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (I used powdered ginger)
1 (29 oz.) can of tomato sauce

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Garam masala
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust according to your heat preference)
½ teaspoon ground black pepper



  
Directions
1. Oil up the crockpot and get ready for some good ol' cooking.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir everything until the chicken is well coated and it smells like heaven.
3. Pour mixture into the slow cooker and cover with bay leaves, more for more taste. Set for 8 hours on low (or 4 hours on high or whatever setting your slow cooker has)




4. For the finishing touches: add 1 cup of coconut milk + 2 tablespoons of cornstarch + splash of lemon juice for taste = cook for extra 20 minutes and done!

This makes a lot of servings, so I end up keeping some in the fridge and freezer for times when I don't have time to cook. I highly recommend it with some jasmine or basmati rice. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I love tikka masala! We used to do takeout from an Indian place nearby and it was soooo good, but there aren't really any options in our new place, so I guess I might have to learn to make it myself. An easy crock pot recipe makes that more likely to happen :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can find some good places in England, otherwise this recipe will be on heavy rotation! Let me know how you like it, it's so good you can't expect anything bad from this.

      Delete