Thursday, July 16, 2015

On making mistakes

 

Over the years, I have gained a wealth of experience, not just in the amounts and variety of patients I've seen and the types of diseases I've come across; but also in the set of skills I've acquired. Recently, I've learned what it means to make a mistake in the medical field. And I mean a mistake that could have destroyed a patient's life and their family; it has forever altered my perspective while at work because it solidified the purpose of having protocols in place and what happens whey they are not followed. I also learned how I would react under such a situation. I didn't lie; I didn't try to hide it. The moment I realized my mistake I evaluated the situation, figured out the best course of action FOR THE PATIENT. Correct the mistake and tell the truth. And once that was done, tell my boss. Because she needed to know so she can tell managers and directors and the people whose job it is to make the place we work in a safer environment for the patient and for ourselves. Thankfully I fixed everything before anyone could get hurt. After all, there are protocols in place for a reason and I was able to catch my mistake before things got out of hand.

I understand how important it is to watch my every step and feel the weight that comes with every medical decision I make now and in the future.

Every day, I embrace the responsibility I hold....

4 comments:

  1. Hearing this makes me so thankful for people like you who are willing to take on responsibility of caring for others in this way on a daily basis. We all make mistakes, and to be in an environment where your mistakes could have a lasting and dramatic impact must be very daunting. You have a great attitude and perspective. Congrats on making it through a hurdle that I'm sure all in the medical field have to encounter at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie, it's very tough having to admit when you're wrong. It's even harder in the medical field, and I don't think people talk about enough, unfortunately it eats people alive, those who practice medicine are no different than you or me. It's great to have an outlet for things like this and makes me feel good to know I have the support when something like this happens. <3

      Delete
  2. Mistakes happen but it takes a lot of courage to admit to making a mistake...especially one that could have had such a big impact. Keep it up...honesty is vital and will make you an awesome doctor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the support Brianna!

      Delete