Thursday, May 28, 2015

Shopping review | May edition

This month I took some of my tax return and treated myself to things I needed to replace, to add to my wardrobe, or that looked too good to be true. The first item I bought this month was during the sidewalk sale in Delaware. Thank you tax free shopping! I didn't think about it until I was ready at the register, but I was super excited! I bought this pencil skirt with leather trimmings. The rest of the material is stretchy, so it grips the curves well! It was originally $98, but I was able to get it for a steal ($10).  I love it and cannot wait to wear it. 


A few weeks went by and I did a pretty good job of not shopping for clothes. I went on a rather extravagant shopping spree in April (I hadn't done a good job of keeping track of things then so I didn't do an April post). But then I had my trip to Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida! I had to buy some good walking shoes because 1) the athletic sneakers and jeans combination reminds me of the 90s and seems like a big no-no trend to me, and 2) I had worn through my Target converse shoes. I had literally worn out the insole and the fabric located behind the heel. Although the outside looks semi-decent, the inside was just too much to keep up and my feet were starting to feel it. Definitely wouldn't work for 10+ hours walking around in amusement parks. I went on a shopping hunt at DSW looking for white sneakers that I've seen many blogger favorites wearing, like Anne and Amanda. I decided they were a good fit to replace my black converse. But they weren't exactly great for amusement park walking... Am I weird for being afraid of getting them dirty so quickly? I found the New Balance sneakers and I'm so glad I did! I decided to look for these thanks to Anne who has been sporting a version of the look here. Unfortunately I did not have any DSW coupons at the time of the purchase, so I bought them at full price. I'm kinda cringing at that, but I'll be wearing them tons so they are worth it. The New balance shoes have actually been worn 4 of the 5 days of my Florida vacation. 60 divided by 4 = 15 dollars per wear already! In my book = worth it!!
 
 These shoes ($49.99) | Those shoes ($59.99)
 
On the last day of my trip, we went to the outlet stores in Orlando. I was looking for a leather and denim jacket and maybe hoping to find a some Ray Ban sunglasses or some nice sandals that look very similar to my current Kenneth Cole Reaction sandals. After about 3 hours of disappointment, I persuaded my friends to spend just a few more minutes in J. Crew Factory before we headed home for dinner. 

Oh man! I would buy the entire store if I could! I love their items so much!! When I walked in, one of the employers handed me a scratch-off card. And huzzah! I got a $20 off coupon if I spent $100 in addition to the 50% off the entire store deal they were having for Memorial Day weekend. I found the denim jacket I was looking for and while my friend was eyeing this dress, I found myself drawn to the one below. It has a lovely low V-neck, and at a size 4, it fits perfectly enough that I don't need to wear a bra. (Merci Maman for the small bosom genes...) 

So originally priced total at: $128 + $85 = $213. With the discounts: $213 - %50 = $106.5 and with $20 off gives a TOTAL OF = $86.5! They are currently having a 60% off everything with an additional 15% today only. Go go go!!!

This dress (originally $128) | This jacket (originally $85)

Lastly, while we were in Harry Potter World in Florida, I bought a Gryffindor sweater ($65) (according to my friends I'd be in that house if the sorting hat were to put me in a house. Each one of us were made for a certain house, and the last believes he'd be better as a teacher there. Worked out quite well :D )

Month Total
$10 + $49.99 + $59.99 + $86.5 + $65 = $271.48 + tax

Ah!! Man this hurts my wallet just looking at that dollar sign, but I'm happy with every item I bought. The dress will be a great item for fancy events and weddings and I've worn the Gryffindor sweater all over the house since it's so comfy. No regrets here! Just gonna have to watch my spendings in June.


Linking up with Fran and the other budget bloggers here.

9 comments:

  1. Love the stretchy pencil skirt and dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I recommend both as they are comfy and high quality items :)

      Delete
  2. Love that dress...the cut is so cute and floral is so fun for spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! I realized I could combine it with the denim jacket and make it work for spring and fall.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh that dress! Can't wait to see how you wear it!
    Peace, Sarah
    simplysarahs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I'll have a post to show the items I tried on during the outlet store shopping including the dress so check back in a bit.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that sneakers are all the rage nowadays. I just ordered a pair of Nike Pegasus '83 for myself, and I'm crossing my fingers that they work out. I own and like my Converses too, but they're not the best for all day walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh those sneakers look nice! Let me know if they're comfortable! I'm thinking of putting better support insoles in the Converses to make sure they can be worn for a while.

      Delete
    2. I haven't worn them outside the house yet, but they seem a little slippery on tile floors, because the sole has these little dots. That might be a deal breaker for me. Let me know if the insoles work!

      Delete